Hells Gate Geothermal Park & Mud Spa is New Zealand’s Historic Spa experience. This geothermal area with unique thermal muds and acidic sulphurous waters has been used by the local Maori (Ngati Rangiteaorere) for bathing , relaxation, healing and overall wellbeing for more than 800 years.
The natural geothermal mud can be liberally smoothed over the skin while relaxing in the warm sulphurous waters for 20 minutes. The mud bath is followed by a cool shower which helps restore blood circulation before relaxing in the hot sulphur mineral spas. The warm geothermal mud opens and cleans the skin’s pores, while the sulphur spa’s give your skin a gentle exfoliation and deep cleansing, leaving your skin clean, soft and smooth to touch.
Escape into another world of geothermal wonder, overlooking New Zealand’s spectacular geothermal scenery from the freeform sulphur pools in our landscaped bathing area surrounded by native trees and plants. Cool off under the mineral enriched waterfall cascading into the cool plunge pool to refresh during your spa experience.
Hells Gate Spa Facilities include:
- Three large mud baths suitable for up to 40 people
- Three semi-private mud baths for couples and families
- Mineral waterfall and cool plunge pool
- One large freeform sulphur spa and two smaller spas
- Swimwear and Towels available to hire onsite
- Changing rooms, shower facilities and disabled facilities
- Open daily EXCEPT Christmas Day
- Summer Opening Hour (1 October - 31 March)
Geothermal Park open from 8:30am - 6:30pm (last entrance 5:30pm)
Mud Bath Spa open from 8:30am - 10:00pm(last entrance 8:00pm)
- Winter Opening Hour (1 April - 30 September)
Geothermal Park open from 8:30am - 5:30pm(last entrance 4:30pm)
Mud Bath Spa open from 8:30am - 8:30pm (last entrance 7:00pm)
- Daily Guided Tour available 9:30am and 1:30pm
Please advise if you require a complimentary shuttle pick-up and drop-off, available from within the Rotorua area. THE SHUTTLE ROUTE RUNS DAILY:
Summer time (1st October to 31st March)
Beginning at Tyron St at: 8:50am, 12:50pm, 4:50pm and 6:50pm.
Leaving Hells Gate at:12.30pm, 4:30pm, 7.30pm and 9:00pm.
Winter time(1st April to 30th September)
Beginning at Tyron St at: 8:50am, 12:50pm and 3:50pm.
Leaving Hells Gate at: 12.30pm, 3:30pm and 6:30pm.